Chapel Built by WWII Prisoners of War
Camp Atterbury (Indiana) - Prisoner of War Chapel
Many of the Italian POWs at Camp Atterbury during the WWII were skilled artisans. In 1943 they received permission to build a chapel. Surplus materials were collected from other projects at the camp. The chaplain at the camp encouraged them to build the Chapel and it was dedicated on October 14, 1943 to the blessed Mother and it was named "The Chapel in the Meadow."
(click thumbnails for larger image)
After WWII, the chapel fell into disrepair with partial restoration work done in 1953 and 1963. Restoration to its current state was done in 1988-89 with re-dedication on September 16, 1989. The chapel is located south of Indiana Route 252, between Franklin and Morgantown, Indiana.
more info from the Camp Atterbury SiteNOTE: If you own photos of interesting 'peaceful places' and would like to offer them for this gallery, Email us!
PAXworks will only publish photos for which we either own the copyrights, or have permission from the photographer to publish them. We encourage respect for the rights of all photographers and artists.
home - photos